Mowing can be a chore, especially in the spring when the grass is growing quickly. But it’s essential to the health of your lawn, so you need to do it right.
The two Rules of Mowing
These two mowing tips will help keep your lawn healthy:
1. Cut the grass high: Though different grasses have different height recommendations, all are close enough to 3″ to use this number as a rule of thumb. Never cut off more than 1/3 of the grass’s blade height in a single mowing: removing more can shock the grass, and it responds by devoting more energy to regrowing its leaves than to fortifying its roots. This is bad, since stronger roots make for healthier plants, which drive out weeds, pests, and disease naturally.
2. Don’t collect the grass clippings: Clippings are full of beneficial nitrogen and decompose very quickly.
Basic Lawn Mower Maintenance
Keep your lawn mower in good working order by maintaining it regularly, as follows:
1. Drain the old gas from the tank
2. Replace the spark plug.
3. Remove the air filter, clean it, and replace it.
4. Remove the drain plug and empty the oil. Then replace the plug and add new oil according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Turn the mower on its side and remove the blade. Tighten it in a vise and sharpen the edge with a metal-working file.